I'm adjusted to my new schedule and finally, ready to sew. I actually planned this for The Monthly Stitch April challenge Sewing Double. I cut it out another Colette Laurel dress and started sewing on Mothers day. It is a simple pattern to complete but I wanted to perfect the fit this time.and spent most of the day achieving the perfect fit.
Here is my first version, sewn last spring when the pattern was released, and then the second version a year later.
Pattern adjustments: I found with my first version the bust darts were too high so I moved them down and opened up the armscye a little. With my first Laurel I took in the side seams to achieve a more fitted version and with this one I stayed truer to the pattern and kept it loose and short.
I decided to bind the edges with remnants of black radiance that I had from another project. I am glad I did, I like the simple contrast that it adds. Colette patterns includes several tips on making your own bias tape and binding instead of facing, so this was easy.
I chose this one because it is one of the dresses that I wear often, it is comfortable and classic. Even though is not overtly sexy with its loose shape, I feel very attractive in this dress. I know I will get loads of wear through several seasons and can pair it with a sweater, tights and boots in the fall.
A gal can always use a LBD in her closet.
So Aprils challange is done, and I have cut out May's lets see if I can complete it before June is over.