Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Some Fun Selfish Sewing

I used Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing to complete two circle skirts.




I've seen so may of these on pinterest and in the stores.


The first one is a half circle from black cotton leftover from another project. I made it a little shorter than my inspiration photos. I was unsure of a full skirt being too young and girly plus I did not have enough fabric
to make it fuller and longer.



I did a simple narrow hem after serging the raw edge


This turned out to be such a simple satisfying project I decided I should make another, this time longer and fuller like the inspiration photos. I knew I wanted the fabric to have a nice drape and I found a pretty blue poly crepe from Nancy's Sewing Basket. I usually stay away from Polyester but found this to be really nice.




I paired the skirt with a orange silk blouse from my mother in law's stash of vintage vintage stash that she sent. It is part of her going away suit for after her wedding. I usually do not go for color, prints, and bows but, I rather like it with the skirt.

The skirt is exactly what I wanted full but not poofy, and if I wanted to twirl I can.


Don't forget to comment on my Pattern Pyramid if you would like to be in the running. The lucky winner will be selected on March 28th.

Happy Sewing!
Jennifer

12 comments:

  1. Well done. I like it better without the belt. Love the inspiration image of the full skirt worn with court shoes. So much old worldly elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color is great and I love it with the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your circle skirt! It looks so polished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are both great! The blue one hangs so beautifully. So what if it is polyester? I use it and I love how it doesn't wrinkle! That blouse is darling, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will have an open mind to polyester in the future, no wrinkling is a bonus.

      Delete
  5. Lovely!! I have been procrastinating these skirts for a long time, I think I will jump on the wagon now :)
    The blouse is adorable, and looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The skirts are super easy, just a little math.

      Delete
  6. You were always good at math, I recall. Glad to see you in the blouse, looks great on you! I had missed this feed before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have not worn the blouse to work yet it is still a little cold but it works well with the skirt.

      Delete