Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mad Men Challenge 3: Betty Draper

My Betty Draper Dress.



I have followed along as others completed this challenge in the past from Julia Bobbin.  This year, I was excited to participate also. Taking a look at my sidebar you will see that I have already added many Pledges, Fasts, Sew Alongs, and challenges to my March-April sewing list. I think I was a little overly ambitious. It is easy to get caught up in to sewing all of the great new patterns and fun community sews.



This was a fun Challenge and I had many ideas and inspiration circling through my brain. I initially thought I would do a Joan wiggle dress in Navy wool, (from my stash) classic elegant and with Joan sex appeal.


I realized that in order to complete this in a timely fashion I needed to also double up on another commitment like my Vintage Pattern Pledge to use 6 of my vintage patterns this year. My plan was to sew 1 every 2 months, seems simple although, I am a little behind as I have yet to complete any, until now.






 Betty in her casual attire caught my eye, more everyday garments that I would get more wear but, then I would have to conquer my fear of real pants or shorts.




















My search continued  for something rather fast and I found my inspiration from Season one.
         













 I looked through my vintage patterns and came across this one that was similar and something I could wear without looking too much like a costume in daily life.

Vintage Sewing Suite

 I have it for sale in my Etsy shop but had traced it for personal use. It's labeled Easy to make and I need enjoy some quick easy sewing in between tedious projects (Trenchcoat) I decided this dress could be made similar to the with Betty Draper, Season 1, episode 7 classic beige dress. The pattern shows the dress in a floral with small bows on the waist but that isn't really me. I did version 2 with the lower neckline and kept it sleeveless.
The pattern is a Junior size 11, Bust  31 1/2 Waist  24 1/2 . I know that will be a little small but since I almost always have to adjust for my narrow shoulders it will probably fit everywhere except bust and waist. I added 1" seam allowances to my muslin to allow room for adjustments.  I only needed to adjust the waist.


After creating a successful, colorful muslin from some free fabric, I went to search for my classic beige.
I originally had thought I wanted linen but, found a brownish taupe viscose/poly/lycra blend at my local Fabric Store which means no wrinkling:).


When I wear this I will style it differently with ballet flats and a cardigan, but since I was channeling my inner Betty Draper I decided heels and jewels were needed.

Machine lapped zipper, and back darts lined up nicely.
I plan to wear a thin belt with the dress to give it a little dose of color. I am noticing from the photo that the hem is n need of a good press but, when the teen photographer is available you have to make it work. Betty would have been more polished.


This fabric is rather this and I am wishing that I would have underlined it or lined it.
I will definitely need to wear a slip with this dress, I guess Betty would also. 


I hand stitched the hem, the only modern technique I used was to serge the side seams of the skirt.






This scene was just right for me, drinking wine in the middle of the day wearing a neutral toned dress. I am obviously not very practiced with my bubblegum cigarette. My Photographer kept directing me on my holding of the cigarette.


 I look forward to seeing all of the Mad Men inspired outfits in the big reveal on Julia's blog in a few weeks.
Happy Sewing!
Jennifer



18 comments:

  1. It's lovely and well done on killing two birds with one stone ;o) I've added it to my dedicated #vintagepledge Pinterest board - http://www.pinterest.com/stitchodyssey/vintage-sewing-pattern-pledge/

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something really kick-ass classy about Betty! Well done :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh -- you are one hot lady!! Love the pictures with wine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was pretty funny and hard not to laugh.

      Delete
  4. You look the part, and the dress is fabulous!
    Your wine diving skills and faux smoking look very convincing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wine skills are real, the smoking not so much. It was fun to play the role.

      Delete
  5. Loved the photos, and the fit is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes the fit turned out great, I really liked this pattern.

      Delete
  6. I love your dress, and photos! Wine makes everything better. Btw, you won the fabric stash. I don't have your email, so can you email me your address so I can send you your new fabric? You're quite lucky because you won the pattern pyramid too! My email is thenerdyseamstress[at]Gmail[dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that late last night, so excited!. I usually never win things but lately have felt lucky, I will be sure to let you know when I use it .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This dress came out beautifully! The fit is great and the fabric looks so sleek made up like this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So smart to make a neutral that you can blend into the modern wardrobe. Dress looks fantastic and you are so cute in your pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to add more basics to my wardrobe.
      Thanks

      Delete
  10. Love it! It looks retro, but totally wearable for today. I have trouble striking that balance, but you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fabulous in this. A great balance between deliciously vintage and very wearable in the modern wear.

    ReplyDelete