Monday, February 24, 2014

TMS February Challenge: Pants









The Monthly Stitch February challenge terrified me! Pants! No Not Pants!!!
Pants are something that I wear often and need to learn to sew well but I find extremely intimidating. I knew that I wanted my first pair to be simple, no welt pockets, button flys or any of those other very scary techniques.











When my blood pressure returned to normal and I was much more relaxed, I decided that I would either make the Colette Clovers if time allowed

or a Style Arc Wallis Pant that I had wanted to try as my easy cheater option.




Well as you can see form the photos which I ended up with. Leather Ponte Leggings.







I broke all of my usual rules with this one..no muslin this time. I used fabric from Black Ponte Knit and Perfection Fused Leather from Fabric.com
It sewed easily on my machine with a microtex needle and regular machine foot. I pinned the fabric carefully in the seam allowances. I was uncertain about the top stiching detail on the leather or the ponte

                        I sewed two samples and decided to do the top stitching detail on the ponte.

I wore these all day Sunday and they were warm and kept me dry while running errands in the rain. I plan to sew another pair soon in the rest of the ponte knit, this time no leather.

The tunic length Renfrew with the cowl neck is my second time sewing this pattern. I sewed it exactly as the pattern recommends except added 4" to the length.  The fabric is a thick wool jersey sort of a sweater weight purchased from Nancy's Sewing Basket here in Seattle. It is super comfy, perfect for these cold rainy February days here.

I am still working on the Clovers with one wearable muslin out of a stretch twill from the discount bin at Joann's. The fit needs some fine tuning. I added to the 1" waist length to give me a higher waist pant and extended the back darts up to the new waistline. I cut a size 2 and sewed a size 0 for the side seams, then graded to a size 6 in the length. Here are the ill fitting pants.


Any fit suggestions?I know there are many blog posts on fit issues with these pants. I do love the look of a cigarette pant so I will try again soon this time maybe the size 4? I am also thinking of signing up for Pants Fitting Technique on Craftsy. Anyone else taken this one?

18 comments:

  1. I've taken the other one (one pattern, many looks: Pants). If nothing else, it gave me confidence to get back into pants after a discouraging muslin fail last year!

    Your renfrew looks great too. I have made my first one but need to make some adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for the class advice. Good luck with your next Renfrew,

      Delete
  2. Wow, these are pretty sexy pants! I just made a Burda stretch twill pant and they didn't require too much fitting. I did add a second dart to the back of them, although pattern only called for one, and that made a huge difference! And then took out excess from the inside leg seams evenly, but sort of 'shaped' the outside leg seams to fit my figure. Hard to describe, LOL. The post is here if interested: http://gjeometry.com/2014/02/23/sssssssay-sssssssewist-sssssssome-ssssssuper-ssssssassssssy-ssssslackssssss-sssssssenssssational/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip , maybe I will try that pattern.

      Delete
  3. I love your leather ponte pants - great job! I've taken Sandra's Pant Fitting Class and I would recommend it to everyone. The other class, Pant Construction Techniques, is excellent, too. I've had a difficult time finding any RTW pants that fit well. It's always been challenging to get a good fit (unless I was making "simple, wear around the house" leggings) when I attempted to make my own. I learned so much in these two classes and now I really enjoy making different styles of pants, including a pair of jeans made from an expensive designer denim. Sandra goes through every fitting challenge you can imagine in great detail and shows how to correct the fit and the how and why the fit problem existed. In the construction class she teaches construction of all different styles of pants. I really like being able to go back to the videos to refresh my memory on a fit issue and/or technique when I'm making different pant styles, too. P.S. I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. Fantastic advice on the class. I think I will sign up for it.

      Delete
  4. Love these! I feel your frustration with the Clovers. I made a muslin of these and it was disaster. I promptly put it away and moved on to something else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of your entire outfit. I just finished up a pair of Style Arc Sunday Walking pants. I think I found my pant pattern supplier! I got a great fit, right out of the package. I plan on trying one of their jeans pattern soon. I hope I am just as happy. Love your faux leather and ponte knit combo! ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them on facebook,I look forward to your jeans, I am tempted to just use there pant patterns, I am giving my clovers one more try.

      Delete
  6. I've taken the jean-ius craftsy class. If you have a pair of pants that you like the fit of, that class will teach you how to clone them. I HIGHLY recommend it. I love your leggings! And the Renfrew-- that pattern is so fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh oh! I love those pants with my whole heart! I must copy you straight away. I hope we don't run into each other!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! I copied them from anthropologie.

      Delete
  8. I'm inspired, to say the least. Love what you made, the fabric choices and all. Gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking fabulous! Wonderful pants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! I have some fused leather from Fabric.com as well. How do you plan on cleaning them? Thanks for the point to your blog from Sewing Pattern Review.

    ReplyDelete