Thursday, January 30, 2014

Uniquely You Dressform


I posted in October that I was Dreaming of a Dressform. I ended up with the Uniquely You (size small). I have unpacked her and set her up in my dining room during my basement construction. When I look at her I am not sure she will be my size and she is rather pointy. My family is certain that I ordered the wrong size and made a mistake.
She comes with a sheath like cover that you fit to your body and then zip it up on the form to be more like you. I have seen several positive reviews online.  Here is the size 4 fit so far without any alterations and in regular undergarments. I can see that I will need to make an adjustment in the shoulders, the bust, and the high bust. It is very snug in the waist and fits perfect in the hips.


It is very snug in the waist and fits perfect in the hips. The instructions advise you to fit it like second skin with no ease. You start by ripping out the lower half of the stitches in the side seams below the waist. Then fit the top half before restitching the side seams.
  While I am making the alterations to the fitting sheath I decided to dress my full figured friend with a vintage slip. My family is very happy she is covered up, they found her a little distracting.
What do you think about naming sewing machines and dressforms? My machine is unnamed but, I feel like my quiet friend should have a name. After spending some quality time with my dressform yesterday, I have decided I would name her. Right now she seems like a Marilyn or maybe a Joan, but that may change as she is modified to become more my size.

What do you think about naming sewing machines and dressforms? My machine is unnamed but, I feel like my quiet friend should have a name. After spending some quality time with my dressform yesterday, I have decided I would name her. Right now she seems like a Marilyn or maybe a Joan, but that may change as she is modified to become more my size.

6 comments:

  1. My machines don't have names, but my dress forms do. The one for me is Dorothy and my male form is Manny. Both are can do tops and pants. My family definitely want them dressed. I didn't have the male covered for the first week he lived with us, and my husband and boys were very distressed. I finally found an undershirt and boxers. Dorothy often has pieces lined to her, but when she doesn't she wears a long tank top.
    Enjoy your dress form. She will be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wholesome and perky gal you have there! She is absolutely a Marilyn, but as you get to know her the name will give itself ;) Thanks for posting, I am hunting for a dress form, but it is hard to decide on one.

    I really like your blog, and enjoy your makes. So I have nominated you for a Liebster award. It is quite informal, and more details here: http://pinhouseplaymate.blogspot.no/2014/01/somebody-loves-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination. What a fun idea.

      Delete
  3. The black slip suits her, I think. Lovely photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is quite perky isn't she. How about Mary-Jean? BTW My cameras have names but my machines don't. That could change when I get new one..

    ReplyDelete