Wednesday, January 1, 2014

I made a Purse!


I was thrilled to be selected to be a pattern tester for The Presidio Purse pattern by Seamstress Erin.


One of the goals for sewing that I have set for myself is to expand my skills and learn new techniques. With this pattern I had two firsts: my first pattern testing and my first purse.
I downloaded the pattern and decided which version I would use, then went to my fabric store Nancys Sewing Basket to shop. I was not sure what I wanted but knew I wanted to stick to my aesthetic and choose something classic and since this was a test and my first purse I wanted to keep with in a budget. 
I found this Navy cotton twill with a slightly raised stripe.

 I chose a black "pen proof"liner suggested by the staff at Nancy's, Heavy interfacing, Two silver colored D rings and a long heavy silver colored metal zip all for the grand total of: $27.00

December is a very busy month for me, along with the typical December busy things both of my daughters were performing, my oldest daughter turned 17, and the big one...my husband and I celebrated 20 years of marriage! Unusual for me I did some procrastinating, I started one day before the deadline and I tackled the project hoping that it would go smoothly. I am pleased to announce that it did. The most difficult part was lining up the optional front inserts for detail.




Front of the Purse Completed.
I changed "Pen Proof "Lining pockets. In the original design the large one is zippered and since I was short on time and had forgotten to purchase one I left the pocket open. 


I really like the zipper pull.




The instructions for assembly were so well explained that the pattern was a joy to sew. The pattern is available from Seamstress Erin for $13.00
I will make another, maybe in a tan/taupe/beige leather and a pretty lining fabric finishing the inside pocket with a zipper this time.
Now off for the day, I am sure this purse will fill my needs for room as I tend to purchase dinner items and almost always a bottle of vino on my way home.


5 comments:

  1. Hey! Jennifer. Your purse is good looking. Enjoy it. Making a purse is quite a job and so rewarding after you've finished making it. I'm sure you'll get lots of wear out of it. I made the Simplicity 2676 purse with the changeable covers and do hereby LOVE it. Been wearing and enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgeous bag. And a far more stylish solution than the bag lady look I usually sport!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very stylish and serviceable too! You have become quite adept at zippers, a part of sewing I hate, but have had to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your version of the bag! The raised lines are a fun texture. I had a hard time finding the rectangular D-rings, so I used smaller ones. It was a big pain! I'm going to plan ahead and buy some online for my next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NIce bag, seems to be just the right size to be roomy but not overwhelmingly big.

    ReplyDelete