Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Playground Party Skirt



I had planned to finish the "Think Pink" party dress and post photos tonight for New Years Eve but, I ran into construction issues. and after an already long week at work I decided to change my plans. So instead I am posting  about a tulle skirt made for playground fun...kind of a party right? I am still working on the pink dropped waist dress and will post it in January.

My sweet little niece is visiting for the holidays and I new I wanted to sew something for her. I wasn't sure of her size so I thought an elastic waist skirt would be easy. I new I wanted it to be comfy for everyday wear but also flirty and fun. I shopped for inspiration and found these skirts cost from $35-50. This is something that would be much less expensive to sew.
J Crew tippy-toe tulle skirt
When I started to sew this I decided I wanted it to be comfortable so I went with a bright knit, then added the tulle in the same color. I purchased all of my fabric (1/3 yard of knit ) and notions from Nancy's Sewing Basket located close to home. The entire skirt cost around $8.00.

I measured and cut the fabric in half, realizing I had enough for two skirts. Then added 5/8 inch casing for the 1/2 inch non roll elastic that I had leftover from another project.
                       
                       The fabric has two different sides. I chose the brighter one.


Then I measured two layers of tulle 9 inches and left it the width of the fabric and gathered it evenly and attaching it right below the waistband. 

The skirt was difficult to catch a photo or two on my moving target. We went to the park and tested it out to see if it would play well.



Here it is paired with a striped tee, coat, leggings, and boots that she already owns.  




8 comments:

  1. This is adorable! It would be great for my nieces as well. It's much cheaper than the J. Crew one. Score! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really easy to make and with little ones out growing things so fast who wants to invest tons of money.

      Delete
  2. Adorable, Jennifer, and a great idea. I bet she loved it. I hope you have a photo without the coat you could send to her grandmother?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The adults appreciated it more than she, she was happy as long as she could play in it.

      Delete
  3. Very cute! I saw some similar skirts at Anthropologie where they used a printed fabric and then put tulle over top and it's on my to make list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't't seen those but what a great idea, I do love anthro for inspiration.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! She looks adorable! And, it looks like once you got the hang of it, you could sew these up in a jiffy! Happy new year! Here's to finding time for lots of sewing meet ups in 2014! Along those lines, I registered for some Sunday classes at the Sew Expo this year. Any interest in going?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun, which ones did you sign up for? I haven't looked at the class list yet.

      Delete