Friday, December 27, 2013

New Year: No Ready-to-Wear.

 Some of you saw this on Mood Fabric's Instagram page. It was posted at a time when I wanted to set some personal goals for my style and sewing for 2014. I was interested in doing the Ready-to-Wear Fast that Sarah from Goodbye Valentino is organizing, but worried I would not have enough time to devote to sewing so many things. I thought about my purchases of ready to wear over the last year and realized the only items I had purchased were shoes, and a few vintage items. 
I find when I have shopped, I always end up realizing I could make this and maybe for less. If you shop at many store that have disposable clothing you find that sewing your clothing is more expensive, but if you like quality garments you can sew them for the around the same price and sometimes less. My sewn garments almost always fit better and I know I feel proud when complimented on them.
The only thing that I was not sure I could make were jeans, socks and tights. I purchased some jeans in December and the socks are on the "allowed" list, now I am ready to go. She started her first Fast in August of 2011, during her first year  of sewing she made 64 garments.  She is also one of Mood Fabrics sewing network bloggers. I am going to do my best to make garments in 2014 instead of purchasing. Anyone else want to join Sarah, myself and many more sewists on our fast? The deadline is December 31st to email Sarah with your information. 






7 comments:

  1. I signed up for the fast also - and then promptly went out and bought a new pair of jeans! I really haven't sewn that much, but I have put so much time and money into learning that it is time to get off my duff and just do it. It will be so encouraging to have others making the same commitment, we can keep each other strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! another fasting buddy. I look forward to seeing what you make.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like me when I was in my 30's. I wasn't working outside the home, and I made almost all my new clothes for the same reasons, love of creating, need for a good fit, especially slacks, and getting great fashion for less. Now, I need so few new things, and my "nice" clothes don't get worn enough to wear out! I look forward to seeing what you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I going to need to do some planning, but I am looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. I applaud your commitment. For about six years now I have made about 80% of my wardrobe. I know I buy the occasional thing so I won't join but I look forward to seeing what you and the other ladies on Sarah's list make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I didn't sign up for the "fast" I am trying to use its guidelines. Especially after reading this book, "Over-dressed, The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion" by Elizabeth Kline. I normally don't read non-fiction, but someone recommended I read it because I like to sew. I have not been able to put it down. It's so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of that book, I am a little afraid to read it. I will have to add it to my book list at the library it will be good motivation when I am tempted to purchase things.

      Delete