Thursday, November 7, 2013

Lazy Day Loungewear





This Lovely ensemble has been my go to cozy, comfy outfit for hanging around watching movies and general lazy lounge time. I know its sad....I was hesitant to post it on the internet, but decided that maybe it would force me to finally but it way in the back of the drawer for dirty cleaning projects.
The sweatshirt has been a discarded favorite from my daughter and the yoga pants I have had forever but they fit poorly. The thing is wearing yoga pants would be fine if I put them on because I was actually going to yoga or some form of exercise.

I decided I needed a change and have planned on sewing something new for a while, but it hasn't been a priority. I decided on a few patterns from Style Arc. The " ELLE PANT: This is the pant of the moment, slim line from ankle to waistline. Elastic waist 35mm or 1 ¼ inch wide. These pants sit so beautifully without any bulk, wear them with your high heels out for the night or with your sneakers for brunch.....a must have piece in your wardrobe!"
As described from there website...sounds much better than hand me down old sweatshirt and yoga pants, definitely not going out for the night or brunch with friends.




Style Arc Elle Pant




Style Arc Laura Jacket
I wanted to make the Laura Jacket along with it, it seems more of a cardigan to me. I have had these patterns for sometime. I have sewed the pants with a knit that I purchased earlier in the year. The pants are cozy and I am happy with the fit but the fabric pills and looks like this after a few washes and drying flat.


My unhappiness with the fabric led me to search for the stretch woven Bengaline that the pattern recommends it turns out that you have to purchase it outside the US.
Thanks to the posts from the  Clothing Engineer about purchasing the right fabric I was able to find I ended up purchasing from Nortex mills on  Ebay. I pre-washed the fabric last week and finally set aside soem time to sew. These pants took 1 hour, to cut and serge together. It was delightful. The only changes I made was I took in the outside leg seams an extra 1/4" to achieve the fit I was looking for

The Cardigan fabric is a soft lightweight wool sweater knit from Gorgeous Fabrics. Looks and feels cozy and comfy right?


The Laura jacket(cardigan) pattern seemed longer than I would like so I shortened it 3 inches off of the bottom, the only other thing I changed was I added stay-tape to the shoulders and the neck line?
The pattern came together simply and I am pretty pleased with my much improved on my stay at home comfy look.

I am planning on redoing this seam, the pattern suggest a felled seam and several reviews online suggested a french seam so I went with that. I think I will do a just plain serged seam.

Her I am with the hood up, trying to give you my best model pose...not sure I will ever wear it this way.


The length is long on the cardigan and the pants, I don't mind and I will just roll it up, I usually have an issue with things being too short in the legs and arms.


All my people have gone to the proper places for the day and now to finish my book, with a warm cup of tea. By the way the book is Rebecca by  Daphne Du Maurier, originally published in 1938 and later made into a Hitchcock movie. It is suspenseful and slightly spooky I highly recommend it.


7 comments:

  1. I want to try Style Arc pattern so badly. How was shipping? I always fear that shipping will make the whole thing just too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought these last year before the postage increase. I think I may order some more maybe soon. I want to try the Sandra jean and the Wallis pant.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't dare show what I wear around the house! Your new outfit is lovely. Glad you are reading Rebecca, read it a long
    time ago. Recently saw the OLD movie, too. Very spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An Australian designer of high fashion pyjamas and lounge wear (Peter Alexander) did a very similar jacket/cardigan last season and I thought it was the perfect thing for at home comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a chic lounge outfit! Looks comfy cozy too!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on the fence about the Laura Jacket. I love the length you set, and once again, love your fabric choice. That is always tricky for me, choosing the right fabric to achieve the look I want. You are such an inspiration. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am suddenly stoked to make the cardi. Yours looks really awesome. TMW!!!!

    ReplyDelete