Friday, October 18, 2013

Vintage Yellow Frock



My daughter is  a huge fan of vintage. She regularly shops at Redlight Vintage and Costume and Lucky Vintage both on University Way in Seattle. She also has explored the Redlight in Capitol Hill along with Pretty Parlor. If you like vintage inspired or vintage clothing and accessories you should make a trip to Pretty Parlor, so many pretty things in the store.
 My mother in law sent a package a while back of some of her clothes that she had saved through the years, and was hoping we could alter them to wear or make something from the fabric.



My daughter immediately fell in love with the pale yellow gown but it needed quite a bit of alterations. Well at the end of the summer she had a small growth spurt and the dress fit better requiring less adjustments to fix the fit. We had all been trying to prepare for the wedding in Palm Springs and she wanted to wear the yellow vintage frock and surprise her grandmother.
 Like most garments on her, we had to adjust the width in the shoulders. I decided the easiest way to do this and keep the integrity of the dress would be  by extending the darts in the back bodice all the way up the shoulder. Then I had to cut the bias trim on the back, cut the lace, and restitched the whole thing back by hand. 


One of the things that I love about vintage dresses and sewing with vintage patterns is the construction techniques and quality. I always learn something new when I am deconstructing and altering something vintage. They almost always have 1 inch seam allowances and are fairly easy to add inches in the waist that so often needs to be done unless you are willing to wear the undergarments that were worn to create the tiny waist.




My mother in Law wore this to her wedding rehearsal dinner in 1964 (I think?). The dress was made for her in a pale yellow taffeta with lace on the bodice and organza covering the taffeta.

Now the dress is no where near perfect it has flaws like most vintage or thrift items. There are some small holes in the organza and some stains that I was unable to remove.



 I am not sure how to repair these or if I even should. I do not think the flaws bother her at all, she loves the classic style of her vintage items and the great price tag.


7 comments:

  1. The dress looks wonderful on your daughter. Great job on the alterations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am slowly improving on the handwork.

      Delete
  2. This meant so much to me, for her to surprise me at the wedding by wearing it. It was like having a bit of her grandfather there, too. Thank you for the great fitting job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really loves the dress and knew it would be special to you. Now to work on the rest of them, maybe for the spring.

      Delete
  3. This dress is gorgeous! Altering garments is such a daunting task. I think it's harder than sewing. You did an amazing job altering the fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her 'new' dress is stunning, but my favourite is the lace over stripes. Why I have never thought of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes It is pretty that is the next one she wants to fix for the spring. I love that we can use the dresses and bring new life into them.

      Delete