Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Dreaming of a Dressform



I have been wishing for a dress form and I want to add one to my wish list. The holidays are just around the corner and Santa is asking for my list. I have been doing some research on the many options.  I came across this short Craftsy blog post on How to buy a dress form.

Option 1: 
How to make a custom dress form that Jenna posted from Jezebel.com. Looks interesting and economical. The cost of all her supplies total: about $95.00

The only thing with this option it also seems experimental and as I am maturing I am losing the spirit of adventure. The other thing is the amount of time that it would take to make it , I could be sewing instead.
Option 2. Fabulous Fit has several forms for $387 and then add the fitting pads for a grand total of $502.99 or from Amazon for around $300 with free shipping. Basically you order the form close to your size then pad it to be a closer fit with the padding system. I think you would order a smaller size to be able to pad it, does anyone know?
If I choose Fabulous Fit then which one model be better?
Fabulous Fit Misses 3/4 dressform

Fabulous Fit Misses Dressform
Option 3: Duct Tape Dress Form, the least expensive option.
Threads Magazine
 I found this tutorial from Threads magazine. Do any of you readers have a dress form? Which kind do you have and what do you like about it?

11 comments:

  1. I have an adjustable one that I scored used on ebay from a local sewist who was moving for $50. I do suggest going down sizes if it's one to be padded (or even adjustable), she's not squishable at all... And yes to padding, even just with batting, unless you're a standard size with bumps in standard places ;) - Mine has padding & a bra under a thick knit top so I can pin onto her. The custom ones do seem more useful (unless you change shapes), although I do like the idea of being able to adjust mine to different sizes for other people ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's is a good price, maybe that would work if I found one close enough then padded it out. I will have to keep my eyes open.

      Delete
  2. I'm dreaming of a dressform, too. My problem (besides the price) is that I have a back length of 18" and the dressforms I've seen don't adjust that far. So, I guess I'll give the duct tape version a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm right there with you Chris!

      Delete
    2. The duct tape version is the most cost effective and more appealing to me than sitting in the plaster .

      Delete
  3. Definitely smaller so you can add on. You are so petite now, I doubt you will ever go any different size but up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right, plus it would be good to be able to pad it.

      Delete
  4. I have an adjustable singer form that I like. It doesn't quite stretch to my full length, but it's handy anyway. I think it was $125 or so from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to research that one. Thanks

      Delete
  5. I have a custom made dress form made by a local man. I've had it for about ten years and it is indispensable! Good luck finding a good one, they are worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I would LOVE to have a dress form! That is definitely on my wish list too!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete