Thursday, October 10, 2013

An Adventure in Belt making

One of my personal goals that I have set for my self is to learn new skills and techniques with my sewing.
While sewing the red Sultry Sheath from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing, I decided to make a fabric covered belt to match the dress out of silk duchess satin. By the way the dress looking fabulous and it looks great with out a belt just in case my first try fails.

I looked for online resources and found some fabulous blog posts. My two favorites were from Lauren from Rosie Wednesday and Sunni from A Fashionable Stitch. I was unable to find a fabric covered kit and have it arrive in time for the wedding but in the future I will order from here Maxant Button and Supply.com
I also read on many blogs and from several sewest that another great resource to have a belt made but in my case I did not have the time to do this on this project.
                                   Pat's Custom Buttons and Belts
(209) 369-5410
537 York Street
P.O. Box 335
Lodi, CA 95241


  After reading the tutorials, I headed to my local fabric and sewing supply store Nancy's Sewing Basket.  One of the things I love about going into this store is the advice that the ladies give on my sewing projects.They have supplies for placing grommets in the store but they would be too large and heavy for my project.
 We discussed all the options for placing eyelets, tools needed or using the eyelet stitch on my machine. I decided I would start with trying eyelet stitch on my machine. With my new gained confidence I purchased and awl, belting and a regular belt buckle headed home. I was not able to find a belt buckle kit so I decided I would attempt covering a regular buckle armed with the products that I had at home. Next time I will order from here Maxant Button and Supply.com.


The Fabric Fusion glue worked the best to attach the fabric to the buckle.



I decided I would start with trying eyelet stitch on my machine. While practicing on scrap fabric, I did not have great success with my eyelet stitch. I am not sure what I was doing wrong but I couldn't get a nice circle. ( Anyone else have a Pfaff machine and advice on this?) I ended up using Dritz Eyelet Plier Kit purchased at Jo Ann's with 5/32"red eyelets that came in the kit.

I had 10 to start with and ended up with 5 usable ones after destroying the others. I would advise anyone doing this to have several more than you plan on needed. 




As I worked I gradually improved and realized I needed to use the awl really well to open up the space , then punch the hole with the tool before placing the eyelet in.





I cut a small strip to create a loop for the belt by cutting a rectangle and folding it in half and then in half again. I plan to hand stitch it in place.



Here is the underside of the belt. It doesn't look very pretty but no one will see the ugly side.(except for you readers). I used fray check pretty liberally to clean up the buckle. I think it would have made a big difference to have a covered kit but I am making it work.


The completed Belt is far from perfect, I would give it a C+, but it will work for the event. I will make another one to go with the Shirtwaist Dress below.


 I have completed the red sultry sheath dress and pressed the hem. I plan to hand stitch it today while enjoying the view in Palm Springs. The wedding is Saturday evening so stay tuned for the photos.



1 comment:

  1. How cool that you made a belt! The front side looks great, which means your next one will likely be perfect! Once you get around to trying the fabric covering kit, I'll be curious to read how you'd compare it to using the glue like you did here. Have fun at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete