Earlier in the week I posted about my frustration fitting the sleeves on the Shirtwaist Dress from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing. I had already altered the bodice by taking in my usual narrow shoulder adjustments and cut the size 4 but graded down around the shoulders. I was stuck and thinking of making the dress sleeveless or adding a shoulder pad to fill out the space. fortunately I knew that I should set it aside and take a break.
I went on the following day to complete my final lesson on the Craftsy class. It was perfect timing because Lynda mentioned a few more fitting tips that I applied to the sleeves.
After a good nights sleep and no distractions at home I tackled the bodice again cutting down the arm area up towards the shoulder by 3/4". I then basted in the sleeve and did a fitting and was pleased with the results.
I did the same thing to the other side and sleeve. With both sleeves on I was still happy. I finished the dress with machine sewn buttons holes and hem instead of by hand as the book recommends.
The Liberty Lawn cotton is so soft and fabulous. I have enough leftover to do a belt and something small, maybe a dress for my little niece. I really love this dress and I hope to get a few chances to wear it before the weather turns cooler.
When I reflect on this project I wonder sometimes if we are too judgmental on our home sewn garments expecting more than something we purchased. I know in the past I have purchased ill fitting, poorly constructed garments on many occasions.