Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Shirtwaist Dress





Earlier in the week I posted about my frustration fitting the sleeves on the Shirtwaist Dress from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing. I had already altered the bodice by taking in my usual narrow shoulder adjustments and cut the size 4 but graded down around the shoulders. I was stuck and thinking of making the dress sleeveless or adding a shoulder pad to fill out the space. fortunately I knew that I should set it aside and take a break.


I went on the following day to complete my final lesson on the Craftsy class. It was perfect timing because Lynda mentioned a few more fitting tips that I applied to the sleeves.

After a good nights sleep and no distractions at home I tackled the bodice again cutting down the arm area up towards the shoulder by 3/4". I then basted in the sleeve and did a fitting and was pleased with the results.
I did the same thing to the other side and sleeve. With both sleeves on I was still happy. I finished the dress with machine sewn buttons holes and hem instead of by hand as the book recommends. 
The Liberty Lawn cotton is so soft and fabulous. I have enough leftover to do a belt and something small, maybe a dress for my little niece. I really love this dress and I hope to get a few chances to wear it before the weather turns cooler. 




When I reflect on this project I wonder sometimes if we are too judgmental on our home sewn garments expecting more than something we purchased. I know in the past I have purchased ill fitting, poorly constructed garments on many occasions. 

11 comments:

  1. The dress truly looks beautiful - your hard work certainly paid off! I've never sewn with Liberty Lawn, but with all the lovely comments I hear about it I'm considering trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly gorgeous! I've heard many people talk about the fit issues of Gertie's shirt waist dress, but the hard work has totally paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely, and you are a great model! So proud of your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's adorable! I love the way the fabric flows, definitely a good design choice. I think it's fine to be critical of our own work. That's how we learn, when something doesn't feel right and we want to figure out the right way to do something, then what we make in the future fits better, looks better, and lasts longer than something we'd buy at the store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dress, the fabric really suits the style. I agree, most people are more picky with garments they make. For me, it is that I have shelled out for the pattern, fabric and notions and put heaps of effort into the garment, so if it doesn't fit, it's such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this dress....it looks so fabulous on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really pretty, nice work. I love how you've styled it more casually with the sandals. Have you made any other Gertie patterns? I had a great result with her wiggle dress http://4-sisters.blogspot.com/2013/01/joans-blue-roses.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dress is so Joan on mad men,,,I've got to do this one soon.
      I have done the portrait Blouse, Pencil Skirt drafted a full skirt and the Sultry Sheath. Next I am doing the Bow Tie Blouse then the Dropped Waist Cocktail Dress for my teen daughter.

      Delete
  8. You look very summery and elegant. I need a shirt dress for the approaching summer here in the Southern Hemisphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make this one if you have the book. I only wish I didn't wait until late summer to make mine. I am sure I will wear it often next summer.

      Delete