Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The perfect "Lady" slip

I love the Shirtwaist Dress that I completed last week. When I was outside being photographed by my daughter she mentioned a slip would probably be nice. The Liberty Lawn cotton is  a bit thin, and I have been collecting several slip patterns over the last year but have yet to sew one up. I like the idea of feeling ladylike like in a slip and the useful side also appeals to me. I have some lovely white silk charmeuse just waiting to leave the fabric stash and become something. I need to choose a pattern from my vintage slip patterns.

This 1970's Let's Make Lingerie with Bernina Pattern #130 Misses Chemise Slip was purchased on Ebay.  I love the name on the front "Sugar Martinez" I have a mental image of the person who owned this pattern and maybe wore this slip and I think I would like her.


                           This one is for sale in my Etsy Shop Vintage Sewing Suite.



   This New Look 6311 is from the 90's and was also purchased on Ebay.


                                                             1930's  French slip
I also have this one from Mrs Depew, it is a draft at home PDF file.  If you have not visited her absolutely Etsy shop then you should, at least for the eye candy. She has such pretty patterns.I also purchased this ebook at the same time.


                                                     1930's Underwear and Lingerie book 

I recently read the section on Chemises and slips in the book. In each section I found a bit of history, "the chemise was a straight one-piece garment, rather scantily made and intended to be worn next to the skin and under the corset, and was usually constructed of a cotton or linen fabric with very little beauty of texture, color, or trimming. As the importance of undergarments has increased the chemise has developed into  a much more wearable type of garment, so varied in cut and there is type for every wearer who prefers the one-piece undergarment". I found this interesting I always thought a chemise was a shorter slinky slip, which today if you Google chemise that is what you find. Here is a Chemise pattern for sale at Mrs Dewpew

Mrs Depew

The slip section describes "a slip is a garment worn directly under the dress, its main function being to serve as a correct foundation for the outer garments. In other words, it is worn to set off  a dress by helping it to maintain the good lines of its own design. Besides this, a slip serves to protect the dress and lengthen it's like by lessening the wear on it. In the case of the slip it that is built up back and front, it serves another purpose, that of keeping the dress from direct contact with the skin across the upper back and chest. The slip, therefore, can be considered a very necessary, and in fact, practically an essential part of one's clothing." 
The book goes on and suggest appropriate fabric, trims, seam finishes and more. I have decided that I will use the 1930's French Slip pattern because it has the V neck that will work best with my dress and it gives me an opportunity to learn something new by using a French pattern drafting system.
My inspiration photo the slip on the right. I am not sure about the red one on the left, I do not think it would look very smooth underneath clothing, but it is interesting.

Left, a vintage Charmode slip with pansies on the cups and hem, possibly from the 1960s. Right, a pink silk slip from the 1930s. Via aslipofagirl.net.
In my search I found an interesting blog post discussing the slip.
Well off to draft the slip and make a muslin out of some cheap satiny stuff in my stash. Stay tuned.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I remember trying on and buying lovely slips like those for my trousseau in 1962!

    ReplyDelete