Sunday, August 25, 2013

Announcing our Newest Addition




Meet Bernadette! Isn't she lovely! She came in at 11.25 lbs. My daughter brought her home yesterday from another sale on our street over the weekend. She had been eyeing her for since Friday and was hoping she would still be available when she raised the funds to purchase her.


She came with a case including some notions and little vintage smell. She has been cleaned and oiled and is behaving nicely now.


In our research for instructions I came across these old advertisements. 

I really love this one.  I am not sure why she is in her nightgown with a hot water bottle. Maybe she sewed that up quickly and easily with the featherweight, or like me she is enjoying her sewing so much she is still in her pajamas and has neglected to get dressed for the day. 


She really does sew like a dream. I know my daughter will enjoy her. I am absolutely in love with my Pfaff. I purchase it at Quality Sewing and Vacuum in Ballard from there refurbished used machines. 
What do you sew with? 

7 comments:

  1. I've always been curious as to how a vintage machine sews, or what functionality they have. I used to sew on my mom's hand-me-down Singer that is edging on 30 years old, and thought that was vintage (even though it's computerized :P ) I eventually bought my own machine, which is a Baby Lock Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works great! We had to clean it and oil it , but she sewed a circle skirt with it yesterday.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip on where in Seattle to look into sewing machines. That's something I haven't yet researched at all! And, what fun to find a featherweight on your street! One of these days I'd like to replace the vintage Singer I lost (well, was stolen!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep ,my eyes open for you Amy. What kind was it?

      Delete
  3. I'm a little behind on my posts. I have a featherweight. It was my mother's and what I learned to sew on. I don't use it all the time, but I do like sewing with it. That smell always makes me nostalgic. (Mine has always had it, even when I was a child.) Enjoy the new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find! I have always wanted to try a featherweight. I don't know if that is what my grandmother had. I remember using hers, took it to college with me. I made some of my trousseau on it too. Maybe when I try Paige's I'll realize if that is what Granny had.

    ReplyDelete