Friday, August 2, 2013

A Little Embroidery


I recently flew to Houston to pick up my daughter and bring her back to Seattle. I am an avid reader and have already finished my book on the trip there. I brought along some embroidery to practice. I wanted to make some handkerchiefs and cocktail napkins using the Sublime Stitching Patterns.
I also thought since I am practicing my stitching I might as well do something fun. I couldn't decide between the Roaring Twenties or the PinUps patterns so I purchased both for PDF download.




                                              Sublime Stitching Pin up Girls


                  
I decided to practice on a light weight muslin that mimics handkerchief linen suggested at my local fabric store Nancys sewing basket. The store is two blocks from my house and seems to have everything that I need.
My embroidery is not as nice as the online store photos, but I did learn many things.



You can see from this photo that one eye came out much better than the other. I finally realized for some of the lines I should use less thread and a different stitch. The perfectionist in me was tempted to rip it out but, I reminded myself this is just a practice session...relax and enjoy the process.


                                    Sublime Stitching Roaring Twenties



Here is an inspiration I found at the finished project section of the website. I think these patterns would make great Cocktail Napkins for a Bachelorette party or Girls Night Out.
After practicing on my nontraditional patterns I decided to try a simple monogram for a small personal touch that I can add to sleepwear and handkerchiefs. I used with some simple monogram from the vintage lot that I purchased from Vidalia's Vintage on Etsy.
 Following the recommendations from the How to from Sublime Stitching I traced the design and then prepared to transfer with my iron.




Well you can see the results...into the washer went the ironing board cover. Next time I will always use a press cloth underneath.








Here is the finished monogram...I think I improved slightly.
Anyone else try embroidery? I dabbled in cross stitch as a girl but this is my first try at embroidery. 


4 comments:

  1. Jennifer, when I was a kid, I used to buy the iron on embroidery designs from the "dime store". I remember embroidering things, but don't know what happened to them. Now I embroider on some of the doll clothes I make. I get a lot of instruction from you tube. I love ribbon embroidery, too.
    I love the designs you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to check you tube for more instructions. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great! Keep it up!
    PS: (This site has very nice hand embroidery video tutorial: www.needlenthread.com .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! this is a great tutorial.

      Delete