Friday, July 5, 2013

Craftsy






I am looking forward to the latest Craftsy Class that I am enrolled in Sew the Perfect Fit taught by Lynda Maynard. Although I am still waiting for my pattern to arrive I decided to start lesson one , the plan is to do one lesson a week.
 I am enrolled in this class along with Amy from Sew Well and a few other fabulous Seattleites. We will be getting together for a fitting session soon.I am looking forward to meeting other sewing enthusiasts in the Seattle area.In the mean time we are all waiting for our patterns to arrive so that we can complete our muslins for the first fitting.
I think that most sewers would agree that fit is one of the biggest problems when sewing. When I am completing a pattern that I know fits it can be so much more enjoyable. I have so many garments that I have completed and worn once only to grab the seam ripper and alter them over and over. I tend to over analyze my sewn garments as many of us do. Our store bought things have many fit issues but for some reason we happily accept it . 
In lessons 1 and 2 I learned that when choosing a pattern size always use your high bust ( if greater than a B cup) and standard bust measurement if it is a dress. Use the largest hip measurement, sometimes extending down onto the thigh if you are doing only a skirt, otherwise your bodice piece will be way too large. It is easier to adjust for a larger hip measurement while getting an accurate fit around the shoulders and bust area.Lynda recommends you have a fitting buddy to help get accurate measurements. This probably explains right away some of my fit problems....doing my own measurements. She also instructs you how to "true up " your fabric, another detail that I sometimes skip in my enthusiasm to begin a sewing project.


My first Crafsty class was The Couture Dress by Susan Kahlje. I signed up for this class last year to improve my sewing skills and learned so many helpful techniques form this class. and completed a cute summer dress

Bag Making Basics/Reversible Tote and zipper pouch by Kristen Link of Sew, Mama, Sew ! The bag went together easily and was a delight to sew.I even added a zipper closure. I completed the bag quickly one evening  while sipping a nice chilled rose. .
Ballet Tote for my daughter


If you haven't discovered Craftsy  yet you should check it out. There is much more than just sewing instructions.They have a large variety of classes ranging from Cake Decorating-Fine Arts and many things in between. The Classes are priced well and they often have sales. You can also find several free classes.

By the Way...The-Super-Online-Sewing-Bee- sponsored by Sew Mama Sew and Janome. Is an online sewing contest similar to the BBC Great British Sewing Bee.




Anyone can enter and the requirements are listed in the link above.The deadline for entry is July 6th and photos will be available on Flickr along with blog posts. I will be following along should be really fun.

What are your biggest sewing challenges? Do you also struggle with fit?


2 comments:

  1. All this makes me wish I was your age and still sewing for myself. I would have learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many resources online. It has been fun to learn to sew better.

    ReplyDelete